Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa strongly impact family functioning. Our desire with family therapy at Selah House is not to focus blame, but to help family members understand each other and gain freedom and healing.
Families become directly involved in the client’s eating disorder treatment program at Selah House. We hope to help develop some creative ways for you to grow together and learn to enjoy family life again
- We use family therapy sessions and individual client sessions to evaluate family needs, roles and processing throughout treatment, as needed Phone or web conferences can be utilized when distance is a problem.
- A family therapist is involved with each client individually and also in groups throughout treatment in order to increase cohesiveness and understanding between family members.
- We use intensive family-focused treatment days at the midpoint of treatment to:
- Examine family of origin relationship patterns (genogram)
- Assist families in seeing they are not the only ones on this journey
- Educate families regarding eating disorders
- Examine the role of family in eating disorder recovery
- List work session (tough love/affirmation, needs/boundaries, forgiveness/reconciliation)
- Help clients, friends, and family members find hope and creative solutions
- Promote family meal/passes