OSFED – Otherwise Specified Feeding or Eating Disorders Overview
People with OSFED have some but not all of the symptoms of anorexia or bulimia.
- All criteria for Anorexia met except regular menses are still occurring
- All criteria for Bulimia met except that binge eating and inappropriate compensatory mechanisms occur at a frequency of less than twice a week or for a duration of less than 3 months
- All criteria for Anorexia met except that weight remains in the normal range
- Regular use of inappropriate compensatory behavior by a normal weight individual after eating small amounts of food
- Repeatedly chewing and spitting out, but not swallowing, large amounts of food
- Binge Eating Disorder- to binge uncontrollably on large amounts of food – sometimes thousands of calories at a time – but DO NOT purge the calories after they are consumed